Sunday 25 May 2014

MARCH QUARTERLY CRAFTERNOONS CATCH UP

This is what happened on Wednesday, 12th March, 2013 at the Upper Yarra Arts Centre.

NEEDLE FELTED ACORNS WITH JENNIE DE VARGA

I had wanted to create needle felted (also called dry felting) acorns for my own children for our Autumn table this season, especially as our daughter loves collecting them and giving the fairies drinks from the teeny caps! I was going to host this myself as I was quite pleased with how mine turned out, (mine is the pink one to the right of second picture down) but there's nothing like having the expert close at hand to hand over all the little tips and tricks learnt over many years. An eleventh hour call out to the gorgeous Jenni De Varga of SEASONAL TREASURES (basically I begged her!!), resulted in a polite 'No thanks' at first and then a couple of days later she said 'Yes'!! I was over the moon! Here she is smiling away below- secretly I think she had a great time. The table was filled twice over as everyone enjoyed learning a new technique and taking only about 10-15mins each, some came away with quite a little bundle of colourful, felty acorns. Darling Raelene couldn't get the smile off her face.


Here's a few woolly numbers dropped from the tree......


A proud show of acorn achievements, we even got stuck into dry felting some oak leaves.....

 Thank you Jennie, it was such a pleasure to have you host a workshop.


LIVIN' IN THE SEVENTIES MACRAME PLANT HANGER

The kindness and generosity of this amazing community I live in never ceases to amaze me. The lovely lady to the right of the third pic below is Anna. She came to a crafternoon and then offered to host a workshop! Anna had been making macrame plant hangers at home and was a bit addicted. I had been toying with the idea myself so was thrilled when Anna came up with the offer to host this workshop at our little crafternoons. I am so humbled by this event that happens here every three months.
I went to Anna's house and we practised while our 2 little darlings played.

This is my first and currently only macrame plant hanger so far. It was such fun to make and super cheap. I used a 30m length of nylon clothesline rope that cost $3 at my local cheap shop. It came in a few different colours too.


Getting started was a bit tricky as you need lots of space but like most crafty crafts, a rhythm developed and away we went. Now at least I knew what I was talking about!

All seats were taken for the workshop which brought such joy. They each went off to sort out the lengths of their chosen rope. We provided the thick clothesline nylon rope, natural jute which was very fine and some builders twine purchased from hardware store that came in awesome bright neon colours of blue, pink, green and yellow.


 Everyone was able to receive one on one attention from Anna as there were many questions. From a craft that was so hip in the 70's (I soooo remember my mum making plant hangers, owls and latch hooking rugs), there was only a handful who's memories came flooding back.


After a bit of faffing about, the participants realised only a macrame train will do! The chairs at the UPPER YARRA ARTS CENTRE have a perfect handle grip on the back to loop the work around. If doing this at home a door handle will be fine.



Here's a close up of Jenny's fine work. The jute being the finest of all the ropes, took the longest yet created lovely knot definition. 

 After 4 hours, we had more than half a dozen happy macrame knotters leave with a handmade creation and a memory of a day with lots of laughter. Thank you to the lovely Anna who gave her time and passion for a handmade life so enthusiastically.


 APPLIQUE EASTER BUNTING WITH MELINDA DUNCAN

Our March Crafternoons couldn't go past without a Hoppy Easter project. My right hand gal, Melinda Duncan, created these very pretty Easter inspired bunting appliques so we could learn how to use that iron on sticky stuff (interfacing or Vliesoflex) and practice our hand-stitching techniques. 


With some gorgeous prints and calico squares we handcrafted sweet little squares with appliqued bunnies, flowers or eggs complete with handstitched borders in DMC embroidery thread. I've been in crochet land for so long my handstitching was a bit wonky!



In the end, we were very pleased with our makings. Though not completely finished, everyone could take their squares home with them along with enough thread to finish the project. These would be so sweet as little pockets on aprons, dresses or pants. 


 Thank you so much my dear friend for another gorgeous workshop! 

 Our SHOW N TELL table was a bit bleak this time around. I had left my bag with my poncho I'd completed on the table at home, Melinda bought in a lovely cardi WIP in a divine Rowan Organic Belle and Jenny had her darling all cotton mixed stitch blanket on display (sorry Jenny I forgot what the pattern is called!!). And that was IT!! I must make it a point to promote this part of it more for next time.
 

Thanks for dropping by and see you all at our June Quarterly Crafternoons (with your show 'n' tell!!)
x Le x

No comments:

Post a Comment